Saturday, November 28, 2015

Turky Trauma and Thousands of Words



If you have participated in NaNoWriMo, you know well the challenges surrounding Thanksgiving. It's a quagmire  for writers. Word counts die on this day. In the past, I have felt lucky just to get a couple hundred words

My accomplishment for this Thanksgiving? Writing two thousand words while navigating family, the OH DEAR SWEET BABY JESUS I JUST ATE MY WEIGHT IN STUFFING sensation and binging on Candy Crush Soda Saga (is this a humble brag? I think I may have just humble bragged.)

Black Friday I spent adding another two thousand words, and I can finally, proudly say: The End Is Nigh. I am finally caught up with this month's word goal and I can see the sweet, sweet light of freedom.

What have I learned from this NaNoWriMo?

1) I hate writing literary fiction. Hate. It. I have precisely 0% interest in producing anything the League Of English Professors will approve of ever again. It's back to wizards and space operas for me, thank you very much.

2) Outlines are helpful. Seriously, that I have one is the only reason I did not bank out entirely. It's why I am going to finish this monstrosity.

3)If you put your plot bunnies in time out, they will eventually settle down and let you get to work. I have a couple Word files filled with story ideas right now. And I am going to start working on one in earnest the second this month is over.

So that's it. I am going to try to get three or four thousand words done today, so I can finish up entirely by tomorrow. Because Monday is my birthday, and I don't want to be working on this damn project when I could be crafting myself a Tuesday morning hangover, that's why.

Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment