Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Comic Sans Like A Boss



I’m having one of those days where either I have too much to say to narrow into a blog-shaped bundle of words or far, far too little. Knowing the way my brain works, it’s actually probably a little bit of both, which makes no sense, I know, but on the other hand, shut your face.
This is day 30 of continuous writing for yours truly. Not too shabby, though part of tonight’s aimlessness is just good old-fashioned exhaustion.

 I am gleaning some interesting insights from this daily writing experiment. One, that whole “I can’t go on/flail” impulse just sort of evaporates if I ignore it long enough. Second, The Magic Spreadsheet is awesome. Third, I really need to work on learning how to stick to a story. I tend to get frustrated and bored when I don’t know what to do next with my story, which invites pissing off for the new story. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Sticking to it makes me anxious as fuck. I guess a part of me is just afraid of showing the world just how very much I don’t know what I’m doing. Today, however, I got the perfect reminder of just how silly that preoccupation is while researching elected officials for my job.

Comic Sans. On an honest-to-tapdancing-christ official government website. Somebody greenlit that.
Somebody with a serious, grown-up government job greenlit that font. On an official website, lest you skipped that part of the last paragraph.  On a page of contact info for elected officials. No shit.
You might be asking yourself right now, who actually gives a fuck?

Well, the correct answer would be “pretty much nobody,” but that’s not the point. The point is that Comic Sans on a website is an iconic amateur move. What Comic Sans was to me at that moment, stuck in my drab little gray cubicle of doom, was a sign. It was a sign that mostly people just sort of pretend to know what they’re doing, with varying degrees of success. But every so often the fa├žade drops just long enough to show the truth of the matter. We’re all making it up as we go along.

I can do that just as well as anyone and in a much better font.